Is your company leaking potential profits through losing sales through a black hole?
It’s hard to believe but recent research shows that business-to-business firms spend 65% of their marketing budgets on average on trade shows, product seminars, cold calling, database purchase and telemarketing activities designed to create ideas to generate leads to new clients…..
However, about 75% of the resulting new leads generated are not followed up!
Just think what might happen to your profits if leads were correctly followed up and a proper sales process was adopted and the fear of telephoning a prospect was taken away.
I can attest to that fear and admit that the first time I ever picked up the phone my heart began pounding like it was going to fly out of my chest! So, in order for a follow up campaign to be successful we must learn to beat the fear of calling!
One of the major tips is never, never follow up a lead by email! Ask yourself what happened the last time you saw an email arrive in your own inbox following up an enquiry of your own and what happened and my guess is not a lot and so please pick up the phone and try the following
- Role play calls as prospect and caller….within your office or company
- Don’t leave follow up too long….has your prospect got a photographic memory?
- Have a structure to the call and not a script….handwritten notes on a piece of paper will do as a bare minimum
- Don’t take rejections personally…..you can always call them back at a quieter time as they might just be in a bad mood
- Trying standing up when calling….believe me it can work…you sound more assertive!
- Don’t harangue the client….be sensible as no one wants to be pestered!
Please try and let me know if these work for you.
If you need more time or more in-depth training then we can help with a practical sales training session in just a day that will give you a taster as to how to avoid a sales black hole and improve your sales. If you would like more information on telephone training and telesales courses please feel free to contact us
We would love to hear of your own tips and experiences in following up opportunities and the success you have had that has worked and please remember the phone is your friend and not something to be feared!