1 Day Course
You will perform the basic steps in a business negotiation.
Who is the course suitable for?
Business professionals who may or may not be in a supervisory position and want to learn negotiating skills. Upon successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Prepare to negotiate in a business environment.
- Initiate negotiations and follow through on their results.
- Follow through on a completed business negotiation.
- Negotiate in unique business circumstances.
Preparing to Negotiate
- Establish a Successful Mind set
- Research the Other Party
- Determine the Value of the Item Being Negotiated
- Determine Where You’d Like Negotiations to Take Place
- Establish Your Best- and Worst-Acceptable Outcomes
- Research Your Best Alternative to a Negotiated Agreement (BATNA)
Initiating Negotiation: Establishing the Ground Rules
- Establish Rapport and establish Your Status
- Choose the Communication Method for Negotiation
- Establish the Rules of Engagement and set a Timeline
- Establish How Negotiation Results Will Be Communicated and Implemented
- Encourage the Other Party to Issue the First Proposal
- Make the first proposal
- Counter the Offer or Proposal
- Accept an Offer or Abort Negotiations
- Work through an Impasse
- Evaluate the Success of the Negotiation
- Follow Up on the Relationship
Negotiating in Special Circumstances
- Cross-Cultural Negotiation
- Cross-Generational Negotiation
- Negotiation with Supervisors and Subordinates